ICANZ is a registered Incorporated Society. Its aims are:
- To provide adoption education for couples in New Zealand undertaking adoptions.
- To encourage the formation of support groups for adoptive families in New Zealand and their internationally adopted children for the sharing of ideas, encouragement and the making of friendships.
- To encourage and assist New Zealand adoptive families to learn about and celebrate their child’s cultural heritage.
- To offer post adoption services, information, support and continuing educational opportunities to support adoptive families in New Zealand and their children.
- To assist suitable couples living in New Zealand to adopt children from overseas, for whom inter-country adoption is considered by the authorities of their country to be the most appropriate choice of care, provided that such adoptions are in the best interest of the child and are carried out with respect for his or her fundamental rights as recognized in international law.